MapPoint is available in two geographic editions: North America, and Europe. The European edition is available in five languages: English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish. The language differences extend beyond the user interface to include different spellings of geographic locations, and hence are sold as separate products.
MapPoint is also available with and without a GPS receiver device. The model of GPS device varies from year to year, but all of these supplied devices are compatible with the latest versions of MapPoint.
Each release includes data and map updates. Here is a short summary of the different releases (numbers in parenthesis refer to the internal object model version):
- MapPoint 2013 (19.0)
- Latest version.
- Updated map data and points of interest.
- New features include: Metro-style toolbar buttons; and online reviews (see New Features in MapPoint 2013)
- MapPoint 2011 (18.0)
- Updated map data and points of interest
- MapPoint 2010 (17.0)
- Restoration of all 336 pushpins
- A number of new program features (see New Features in MapPoint 2010)
- MapPoint 2009 (16.0)
- New interface with large toolbar buttons
- New high-visibility pushpins, but reduced to only 40
- MapPoint 2006 (13.0)
- Greatly improved GPS integration and navigation
- Minor API changes – e.g. Location objects always have a readable coordinate
- MapPoint 2004 (11.0)
- Improvements (including new API functions) for OSGB (UK) map coordinates
- Additional pushpins (336 total)
- MapPoint 2002 (9.0)
- Major update in functionality
- Major improvements to API functionality
- Office XP style interface
- MapPoint 2001
- Data update
- MapPoint 2000
- Initial release